Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Download: Crushin' On Ya - Mr. Sonny James

Statik on DILLA MONTH 2013... 

To those of you who've been rocking with me for years, you know I have loved and supported Detroit hip hop about as much as I've supported music from my hometown. Slum Village, Invincible, Black Milk, Guilty Simpson, and Miz Korona are among some of the finest talents that have had me in the headlock for over a decade now. At the top of the list, of course, is the legendary Jay-Dee aka J. Dilla. Known for his classic productions for The Pharcyde, Bilal, A Tribe Called Quest, D'Angelo, Erykah Badu, Common, De La Soul, and many more, his footprint is all over the soulful music I love to listen to and play out. His untimely passing in February of 2006 caused many to honor his legacy each year around this time with Dilla Month. We start things off with a re-edit of Lil' Kim's Crush On You b/w J. Dilla's classic Crushin' track. The homie DJ Beatstreet and I have a game going on right now where we each make an edit with the same idea and see which one kills in the clubs. ha. Dilla Forever.

 

No comments: